Monday, 14 May 2012

SATS and STRESS

Stress Stress and more Stress ......... My 11 year old is feeling this way as his first SATS exam is today, I never thought about these year 6 exams before this year and I feel for any parent or child going through this. 



I suppose not all children feel the heat, but My 11 year old worries about worrying and these SATS exams have taken him to a stage in his life that no child should go ....... he feels that if he does not do well then he has failed and will never get a job and be one of life's failures, ( he's 11 for godsake).

I have been revising with Thomas the past few weeks and have never felt thicker, believe me I have found words and meanings I never knew existed I did purchase some amazing books Letts, KS2 Success  from amazon and these explain so much I can honestly say I would have cried without them I will do a review of them as they were so good and helped me and Thomas.

So what are SATS .......... National curriculum tests - popularly called Sats - are taken by 11 year olds in England in their last year of primary school, at the end of Key Stage 2. Pupils sit written tests in English and maths. The results are published by the government and are used by the media to compile primary school league tables................ So the question is will they have any impact on my childs future and the simple fact is NO!


I have tried my hardest to help Thomas and even though he got fantastic marks in his mock exams a couple of weeks ago the confidence has faded as I am sure it has for many other children.

Why when 11 year olds are going through a stressful enough time with the thought of moving from primary to high school add even more pressure to them? my so was upset and could not get to sleep last night due to the pressure he feels under which is not good for any child of any age.

I really cannot wait for this week to be over for the children so they can start enjoying what little time left in primary school they have.

I hope all children taking exams now stay calm and just do there best, us parents are proud of you this way no matter what the marks are.






No comments:

Post a Comment